Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Season Wrap-up: The Highlights

I have a tendency to dwell on the negative (derailed training plans, injury woes, poorly executed races), which is a shame since triathlon is generally pretty fun and has had an overwhelmingly positive impact on my life. So in the interest of smelling the roses, I figured I'd look back on this season focusing on the positives.

Beating my targeted swim time in the Perth Tri
After a frustrating lead-up to this race season, I wasn't totally sure of my swim fitness, but I knew if I swam to my capabilities I'd be out in under 8:30, and I was. Hitting a target like this is great in the first leg of the first race of the season, as it means I've got a pretty solid handle on my fitness, and helps to alleviate the uncertainty that comes with that first race. And it's always satisfying to perform to your capabilities.

Two overall podiums
I've consistently been a top-10 guy, but it was fun to actually be on the real pointy end this year. Despite earning podiums in Perth and Brockville, I was never really in contention for the win in either case. Race winners Jeff (Perth) and Marco (Brockville) were both in another zip code. So there's certainly lots more work to do, but getting to the overall podium level shows that I'm continuing to make progress.

Experiencing what it's like to be "the hunter" on the run
Running has historically been my weakness, and with a decent swim and a strong bike, I've consistently entered T2 ahead of some solid athletes who were better runners than me. Up until this year I've always started the run in fear, waiting for the inevitable as I lost position to superior runners. But after posting the second fastest run split in Perth, I was feeling confident for the Smiths Falls race, where I actually managed to pass 3 guys on the run, something I've never experienced before. Perhaps as importantly, nobody passed me. Although for various reasons I didn't execute the overall race I wanted, I finished feeling like a well-balanced triathlete. It's a totally different mentality to actually look forward to the run, saying "alright, let's hunt these guys down", rather than "oh crap, how long before the first guy passes me?"

Executing the race I wanted to in Brockville
My last multisport race of the season, and it all came together how I planned. I paced my efforts well in each leg, made smart decisions, and felt satisfied that I performed to my potential. A good way to end the season after some disappointments in Brockville in both 2015 and 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment