Friday, March 25, 2016

New Shoes Part 2

After a visit to Solefit to solve the issues around the pain in my left big toe, I had a list of 5 shoes recommended by Neil to help fix my issues. I took the list to Sports4 - they have a reputation as arguably the best running store in the city and I've bought from them before. They also have no issues with you buying multiple pairs, trying them out on a treadmill, and returning whichever ones don't make the cut. So list in hand, that's where I went.

They didn't have 2 of the 5 shoes in stock, so it was down to the New Balance 1500, Mizuno Wave Catalyst, and Saucony Fastwitch. All lightweight shoes with mild stability control. I gave each model a few tries in the store going back and forth between each pair. In the end I left the 1500s - they seemed to fit pretty much the same as the 1400s I've been running in, and those shoes are a little tight in the toebox and have been part of the problem for me. I loved the way they hug my foot - it really seems like the shoe isn't there it just fit super well, but the other two shoes had noticeably roomier toe boxes and that was a priority for me.

So back home with the Catalysts and Fastwitches. I'll take them in to have Neil film me on the treadmill at SoleFit and see what he has to say about which ones are better for me, but for now I wanted to get some time in on my own and see how they compared.

I started with 5 minutes of barefoot running, did a dynamic warmup, then ran for 8 minutes each in my NB1400s, the Mizunos, then the Sauconys. The 1400s felt great as they always do, light and nimble, almost like running in nicely padded socks. Feet felt fine, as they always do.

On to the Mizunos. Two things were apparent immediately. 1: These soles are stiff and 2: These shoes are loud. It was like a horse on cobbles. The shoes also seemed heavy - they're a pretty lightweight shoe overall, so it could be the stiff soles just made them seem heavy, I don't really know. Pretty comfortable, though I did get a bit of soreness along the outer edge of my foot by the end of the run. I could see myself running in them as trainers, but I feel like I'd still want my 1400s for racing.

The Saucony's were another story. An even roomier toe box than the Mizunos, and they felt light and flexy - much closer to my 1400s. They didn't seem to hold my foot quite as securely as the Mizunos, but I could probably figure that out with lacing. Overall though they were much more enjoyable to run in than the Mizunos were.

So if it were up to me alone I would definitely go with the Fastwitch, but I'll be interested to see what Neil says. It's not all about what feels best - the most comfortable shoe in the world isn't going to do me any favours if it results in more foot pain down the road. So while I'm pulling for the Sauconys, I'm keeping an open mind.

Now it's off to Solefit for the final verdict.

No comments:

Post a Comment