Friday, November 25, 2016

Back in the saddle

With the fall running season over and the pain cave finally constructed, it was time to get back to training. After my 40k TT in late August I had done a handful of rides on my road bike before stopping entirely by mid-October. Not by design, but just because things were still busy with the move and construction projects that it just didn't work out to be able to ride. It was disappointing as fall is a beautiful time to be out on the bike, but I was in a run-focus anyways.
I was dreading that first FTP test, as I knew I would have lost a bunch of bike fitness. My FTP likely peaked around 235W in August, and the result of my test, which I think I paced properly, put my new FTP down to 220W. So that's a drop of around 7-8% over 3 months. The good news is that two weeks into structured training I'm feeling like my bike fitness is coming back.

It was also time to get back into some structured swim training. My swimming in September-October was sporadic and I wasn't really keeping tabs on my times. It was a bit of a rude awakening to get back in the pool and start doing some sets by the pace clock. I've probably lost a good 6-7 seconds per 100m off my threshold pace. Like the bike, I'm seeing some improvements already and am swimming much better than I was 2 weeks ago. I haven't done anything hard over 100m yet, but I'll know I'm back in swim shape when I can do 6:45 400s. It'll be interesting to see how long that takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment