Thursday, January 5, 2017

It's 2017!

With the arrival of the new year it's time to get real. I've been on a steady bike/swim plan since mid-November but the run has been inconsistent. No more of that. My swim fitness is still a ways off from where it should be but I am seeing improvements. After 6 weeks of structured bike training I'm nearly back to where my FTP was at the end of last season, so I should some solid gains in that department this year.

I'm going to try a few different things this year. For the past couple of seasons I've logged my workouts on BeginnerTriathlete, and last year I analyzed my bike data with Golden Cheetah.
BT's Training Log
 
This year I'm trying TrainingPeaks. The free version does everything the BT logs did, plus tracks TSS as well as a few other metrics. You've got pay for the premium version to get the functionality of GoldenCheetah (for example, use of the Performance Management Chart to track things like Acute and Chronic Training Loads). At this point in my season I don't feel the need to do that but may upgrade closer to race season.
TrainingPeaks' Training Log

SWIM: Not much is changing here other than I'm consciously kicking less. This means not really doing kick sets (other than as part of my warmup), but also focusing on using my kick for body position rather than propulsion.

BIKE: Still following Trainerroad, but once I'm done my Base phase, I'll try the Sustained Power Build rather than the Olympic Triathlon Build I did last year.

RUN: I'm hoping to get more volume in this winter on the treadmill, and be smart about easing into outdoor running once the snow melts. If I can avoid injury this year (there's a first for everything) then hopefully I'll be able to get some good volume and speedwork in this spring and enter race season with some good run legs.

As far as race season goes, I've basically planned out my season, pending a few races that haven't had the dates officially confirmed. More on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment