Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Recipe of the Month: Banana Pancakes

My fall run focus was cut short by the return of my calf strain (which never really healed all the way). So instead of the usual runtastic autumn, I've been enjoying some long bike rides. I try as much as possible to eat real food while doing these rides (typically 60-90km), as opposed to sports drinks or gels. I really tried to get into rice cakes, but a) couldn't get a recipe going I really liked and b) they don't respond well to being frozen.

This pancake recipe is now my preferred ride fuel. It's delicious, freezes well, and has a good mix of glycemic indexes from the the oats, bananas, and flour, so you get your calories absorbed over a span of time, which is good for long rides.


Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp ground flax + 1/4 cup water
1/2 cup oats
2 ripe bananas
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup crushed pecans
1 tbsp coconut oil

Instructions:
1. Get the flax soaking in a measuring cup with 1/4 cup water
2. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl
3. Stir in water and mix to make consistent batter, then add flax
4. Mash bananas in a smaller bowl until smooth, then add to batter
5. Stir in melted coconut oil and add pecans
6. Ladle batter into hot pan and cook until brown on either side

I put these pancakes in a ziplock bag and freeze them, taking one or two out when I'm about to head out on a long ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment